St. John’s High School, Bandel was formerly called St. John’s Middle English School and was opened on 10th July, 1870 by Rev. Fr. A.C. Rodriques, Prior of Bandel Church, for the education of the poor boys in the locality. It was supported by Bandel Church with a Government grant-in-aid.
In 1920 on the occasion of the golden jubilee celebration of the school, his Lordship the Bishop of Mylapore, presiding over the prize distribution ceremony of the school raised it to the status of a High School. Accordingly Rev. Fr. Menezes, made the necessary arrangements, repairing the house known as “Orellas Home” and on 2nd of January 1920, before a large gathering of the leading men of Hooghly, Mr. A. V. Moberley, Collector – Magistrate of Hooghly District, declared to open the High School.
The school building was considerably extended by the Salesians. In 1964, Fr. Charles Niznansky, then the Headmaster built the ground floor on the Southern side of the School and in 1968 Fr. A. Doro and Fr. E.V Chacko completed the first floor over the same building. In 1977-78, a two storied western wing was added to the School building by Fr. K. A. Thomas and Fr. M. C. Maththew financed through a donation from Fr. A. Doro and the Salesian Provincial.
In 1970, the school completed its 100 years of service. The Madhyamik Examination has started in this school from the year 1976. Prior to 1976 the students appeared for the Higher Secondary Examination, School Final Examination and the Matriculation Examination. The medium of instruction is Bengali.
The School has completed 144 years of educational service in 2014.
May 8, 2014
ADMISSION NOTICE FOR CLASSXI (SCIENCE, ARTS, COMMERCE) 2014-15 FORMS ARE AVAILABLE FROM 23.05.2014(FRIDAY) TO 31.05.2014(SATURDAY) ON ALL WORKING DAYS FROM 9.00A.M. TO 12NOON AT SCHOOL OFFICE... Read more
April 28, 2014
Summer vacation has been rescheduled and will start from 2nd May, 2014 and will end on 31st May, 2014 because of prevailing heat wave across the State. School will open on 2nd June, 2014.
March 24, 2014
Bandel St. John’s High School
Annual Practical Examination for Class – XI, Year – 2014
All students must bring their ORIGINAL Registration Cert... Read more
January 12, 2014
We have celebrated Swami Vivekananda Jayanti in our School on 12 January, 2014.